Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Stewed Tomatoes for Canning

These looked so pretty after I canned them that I took pictures and posted them to my personal blog. Hillary requested the recipe, so I am posting it here before actually trying the goods. I will comment on how they taste when I open a jar. Also, I found the Plus...I did request canning recipes and haven't posted any myself...

4 qts. washed/cored/chopped tomatoes (here are some instructions for how to do this)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green peppers
4 tsp. celery salt
4 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt

Bring all ingredients to boil in a saucepan. Simmer 10 minutes. Pack hot jars with hot tomato mixture leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles by tilting the jar and scarping the inside of the jar with a butter knife. Process 40-50 minutes in a steam canner.

No comments: