Sunday, November 16, 2008

Poppy Seed Cake

I am really into baking lately so I have been dusting off the all my recipes for sweets. This is another family favorite on my mom's side - it is present at EVERY family party! I have never actually made it before, but as I am typing it is baking in my oven!

1 cup + 2 Tbsp. oil
1 1/2 tsp. almond extract
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 tsp. butter extract 
2 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
3 cups flour
1 1/2 cup milk

1 1/2 Tbsp. poppy seeds

In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, oil, sugar, and flavorings and beat for 2 minutes. Add baking powder and salt and mix. Alternate adding flour and milk and then mix until just combined. Add poppyseeds and mix until just combined. Pour into a well greased bundt pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. While still hot, remove from bundt pan onto serving plate and pour glaze over top.

Glaze:
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup orange juice
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp butter extract

Whisk all ingredients together and pour over cake while hot.

No comments: