Friday, May 29, 2009

Homemade Granola

I saw this recipe a couple of months ago on one of the many many craft blogs that I read and now I can't remember which one so I can give them credit, but it is so easy and so yummy...not to mention WAAAY cheaper than store-bought granola. There is so much you can do with it too...eat it as cereal, add some m&ms, nuts and craisins to make trail mix, or add it to yogurt and fruit for a yummy parfait. I plan to try some variations on the recipe to change things up...maybe add coconut, cashews and dried mango for a tropical version or almonds and dried raspberries and blueberries for a version that just sounds really yummy!

Enjoy!

7 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup wheat germ (I used wheat bran instead - found it at Sunflower Market in the bulk section)
1 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/8 cup cinnamon
1 cup oil
1 cup honey (I ran out of honey mid-recipe and made it with just 1/4 cup last time and it was still yummy, just not as many clusters)
1/4 water
2 Tbsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp salt

Mix all ingredients and spread on a greased cookie sheet (I lined my cookie sheet with parchment paper for easier cleanup). Bake at 325 degrees for 20 minutes. Stir and bake another 15 minutes. Scrape the bottom of cookie sheet as soon as it is doneto prevent sticking (not neccesary if using parchment paper).

Added bonus: your house will smell all cinnamony and delicious!!! :)

No comments: