Sunday, November 21, 2010

Thanksgiving Etiquette

So, I have a question for all you cooks out there.  It's my in-laws' turn to host Thanksgiving this year.  My assignment is to bring a jell-o and homemade rolls, and I feel confident making those.  I'm making my grandma's perfect rolls, and raspberry pretzel jello.

By way of information, I have to admit I'm not a big fan of Thanksgiving food.  Call me Chandler Bing, but I don't particularly like turkey, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, or gravy (ick).  My family just does Thanksgiving differently.  I have recently learned to like mashed potatoes, but only the way I make them--with lots of flavor and seasoning, and no gravy whatsoever.  But here's the problem: my in-laws like to make really traditional, simple food.  They like their meat really, really well done (like shredded) and prefer their potatoes with butter and milk only--no salt, pepper, chives, sour cream, or anything like that. And they like to make the turkey and potatoes themselves, rather than assign them to their children.  At the other Thanksgivings I've had at their house over the years, I barely eat anything and wind up starving by the time we finally get home (thank goodness for cold cereal)!

So here's my question: would it be rude to bring some mashed potatoes I made myself, the way I like them?  I would of course make enough to share with others, but I don't want to offend my in-laws.  On the other hand, since I know I'm not really going to like anything else at the meal (that I didn't bring), would it be so bad to bring something else I know I would eat, so I don't have to eat cold cereal at 10 p.m.?  Or would that be too rude, and I should just suck it up?

1 comment:

Jen said...

I think your best bet would be to just let your in-laws know beforehand that you are not fond of thanksgiving food and ask if you could bring a dish of something that your family traditionally has for thanksgiving to add to the meal. Then you get to bring something you will enjoy eating and your inlaws won't think it is just their food you don't like when your plate isn't very full. If you aren't comfortable talking to them about it, though. I would actually go with the suck it up method because preparing a thanksgiving feast makes you ultra sensitive to whether people like your spread. :)