Sunday, November 22, 2009

Creamy Potato Soup

My sister-in-law had surgery on Thursday, and I wanted to bring her dinner.  But I also wanted to try and minimize cost by using mostly what I already had in my fridge and pantry.  This meal was super easy, came together quickly, and was enjoyed by my picky niece and nephews (and my picky husband).  It also makes a lot--this easily fed 10, so cut it in half if your family is smaller.

1 stick butter
1 lg onion, chopped
2-3 carrots, peeled and chopped
2-3 celery stalks, chopped
2-3 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 tsp. crushed garlic
6 cups water
1 tsp. worcestershire sauce
6 chicken bouillon cubes
1 quart half and half
6 Tbs. flour
3 cups shredded cheese, divided

Garnish:
green onions
sour cream
bacon, cooked and crumbled

In a large soup pot, melt butter.  Saute onions, carrots, celery, garlic, and potatoes (seasoned with Lawry's seasoned salt and pepper) over medium heat  for 15 minutes or until nearly tender.  Add worcestershire sauce and flour, cooking an additional 3-5 minutes.  Add in water and chicken bouillon cubes, bringing to a boil to thicken soup and dissolve cubes.  Boil 3-5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.  Off heat, stir in half and half and 2 cups cheese (do this a handful at a time so it doesn't clump).  Keep warm on stove or pour into crock pot.  Just make sure it doesn't boil once the half and half and cheese are in, or it could curdle and separate.

Garnish with extra cheese, sour cream, green onions (my favorite!), and crumbled bacon.  Serve with rolls (I just fill a rimmed, sprayed cookie sheet with Rhodes rolls--mine fits about 35--let them rise, then bake at 350 for about 18 minutes) and a green salad.

No comments: