Saturday, February 16, 2008

Apple, Gorgonzola and Walnut Salad

(3/1/08 - I have edited this a bit due to further experimentation! The "Bucca di Beppo" dressing was NOT good - hope nobody tried it!)
Thanks to a GNO at Bucca di Beppo and a sale on gorgonzola cheese at Albertson's, I was inspired to make this yummy salad I have been craving! I tried to find a recipe for dressing that I liked, but didn't find an exact fit, so I played around with it a bit. Thus, all the measurements are guestimates. Feel free to "play" and find the right mix!

Salad:
1/2 head of red leaf lettuce, chopped
1/2 c. gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
1/2 c. pecans, whole or chopped
1 apple, chopped

Saute pecans in 2 tsp honey until fully coated. Arrange lettuce on a serving dish, top with apples, gorgonzola and pecans or walnuts. Drizzle with honey.

Dressing:
4 tsp. cider vinegar
1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
2 tsp honey
1/8 c. sugar
4 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil

In a bowl, whisk together vinegars, honey and sugar and add oil in a stream, whisking until emulsified. Season dressing with salt and pepper. Drizzle over plated salad immediately before serving.

No comments: