Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Vanilla Buttercream Frosting

2/3 cup salted butter, softened
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 lbs. powdered sugar (more or less, until desired consistency)

Mix butter, vanilla, and heavy cream with an electric mixer.  Pour in powdered sugar starting with one pound of powdered sugar, then adding more about 1/2 cup at a time until desired consistency is reached.

Notes:
-Use salted butter--it really does make a difference.  One time I used unsalted butter, because most cookbooks call for it, and it was a gloppy, flavorless disaster.  Never again.
-I like my frosting a bit stiffer since I usually pipe it with a pastry bag and I want it to hold it shape and set up a bit as it sits.
-Feel free to exchange the vanilla extract for whatever flavor you want.  I've done lemon and mint before, and I know lots of people like almond (for me it tastes cloyingly sweet).
-Makes enough to frost 48 sugar cookies or 24 cupcakes with a pastry bag.

No comments: