Monday, December 6, 2010

Sinful Caramel Corn

I cannot get enough of caramel corn, and while I know there are tons of yummy recipes out there, this is my favorite.  Using microwaved kettle corn makes it quick, and it makes so much that if it's just for my little family, I'll half the recipe.


1 cup butter
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup light Karo syrup
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 3.5-oz. bags microwave kettle corn, popped

Spray a large mixing bowl with nonstick spray.  Weed out unpopped kernels from the microwave bags, and pour popcorn into the bowl.

In a large sauce pan, melt butter.  Stir in brown sugar, Karo syrup, and salt.  Bring to a boil, and cook until it reaches the "soft ball" stage (be warned: when it's fully boiling, this happens fast . To test it, drop a teaspoonful of the caramel into a little dish filled with cool water.  If you can shape it into a ball, and it holds together, it's done.)  Off the heat, sprinkle baking soda and let the mixture foam (stirring if you see any baking soda lumps). 

Pour caramel over popcorn, and stir until well coated.  Store uneaten (if you have any) caramel corn in Ziplocs, or make sure the bowl is tightly covered.

1 comment:

Amber said...

This is my FAVORITE caramel corn recipe... I like mine all soft and chewy, not hard and crunchy (which happens when people bake the caramel corn in the oven). ( :