Monday, December 27, 2010

Homemade White Bread

Yesterday I reeeeeally wanted some hot bread and jam, but I really prefer white bread to wheat bread and every single recipe I have is for wheat bread. While I could have settled for a wheat loaf, I don't keep wheat flour on hand, and I don't have a wheat grinder, so I googled white bread recipes. I am so happy that I did, because I found a total gem! The recipe makes 3 (giant) loaves. They came out of the oven yesterday afternoon at 1:00 pm, and by 1:20, we were down to 2 loaves. As of right now, we have part of one loaf left. The best part is...the bread is soft and delicious after it cools as well. Of course bread is good right out of the oven, but not all bread is delicious after it cools! I did modify a few of the original instructions, so this is my take on it. Anyway, I hope you enjoy!

3 cups warm water
3 Tbsp. dry active yeast
3 tsp. salt
4 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1/2 cup white sugar
8 cups bread flour (I did not use bread flour. I buy Lehi Roller Mills Turkey Brand flour from costco and it is amazing for all kinds of baking...seriously the flour makes a huge difference. Next time you buy flour, give this brand a try and you will never go back!)

Sprinkle yeast over warm water in the mixing bowl and let sit for 5-10 minutes until softened. Add salt, oil, sugar and 4 cups flour. Mix. Let sponge (the gooey pre-dough that you have) rise until doubled in size (I let mine sit for about 10 minutes). Gradually add the additional 4 cups flour 1/2 cup at a time, mixing until smooth after each addition. Move dough from mixer bowl into a greased bowl and roll dough ball around to coat all sides in butter (or cooking spray if that is what you sprayed your bowl with). Rise until doubled in size. I like to turn my oven on broil for 1-2 minutes (until it is just warm, not hot) and then turn it off and place a small glass bowl of hot water on the bottom rack and my bowl of dough on a middle rack. It seems to speed up the rising time without negatively affecting the dough. Punch down dough and let rest a few minutes. Divide dough into 3 equal parts (I don't think 3 was enough because my loaves were gargantuan. I will probably do 4-6 smaller loaves next time). Shape into loaves and place into 8 1/2x4" greased bread pans - I just shaped them into loaves and placed them side by side on a jelly roll pan. Let rise until almost doubled. Brush loaf tops with butter.

Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes (mine only took 35 min). You may want to place a piece of aluminum foil over the tops of the loaves for the last 5-10 minutes of cooking so they don't get over browned. Brush butter over tops of warm loaves when they come out. ENJOY!

No comments: