Thursday, August 19, 2010

Easy Guacamole

I don't know about you, but we love avocados and Mexican food at our house.  I always bought Wholly Guacamole pre-made from the store, but I decided to make my own last night and it was awesome!

4-5 ripe Haas avocados
1/2 red onion, diced
2 green onions, chopped
1/2 small jalapeno, ribs and seeds removed, diced (optional)
juice of 2 limes (or you can use bottled lemon or lime juice, but this tastes fresher)
1-2 cloves of garlic, minced or 1 tsp. garlic powder
2 roma tomatoes, diced or 1/3 cup jarred salsa (or 1 tomato and a scant 1/4 cup salsa)
scant tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. cumin
Lawry's seasoned salt
pepper


When I made this, I just kept tasting as I went, so feel free to start small on the seasonings and work your way up until it tastes right to you.  I started out by scooping the avocados into a bowl, and tossing them in lime juice so they wouldn't brown.  I tossed in both types of onions, jalapeno, 1 tomato and a scant 1/4 cup salsa.  I added garlic powder, chili powder, and cumin, and sprinkled the mixture liberally with Lawry's salt and pepper.  Then I mashed everything together with a fork.  I don't like my guacamole pureed into baby food, so I left it a little chunky.  When I tasted it, it needed a bit more flavor, so I added a touch more chili powder, salt, and pepper.  I like my guacamole to have a distinct citrus-y and onion-y flavor, so if you don't, cut back on the onions and the juice and just add them bit by bit to taste.

No comments: