Thursday, August 19, 2010

Chicken and Rice Burritos

I got this recipe from another blog, and it was a big hit.  It also made a ton (for my little family), so I made them into frozen burritos for quick lunches.  It's not fancy by any means, but pretty quick and filling.  You can completely adapt this to your own family's tastes and size, too.  I served them with homemade guacamole and blue corn tortilla chips.

2-3 chicken breasts, diced
1 6.9 oz. box Rice-a-Roni, Spanish flavor
2-3 Tbs. butter or olive oil
2 cups water
1 16 oz. jar salsa, any flavor or brand
1/2 green pepper, diced
1/2 red pepper, diced
1 small red onion, diced
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup frozen corn (don't need to defrost)
6-10 tortillas, depending on size (Everyone raves about the uncooked kind from Costco, but since I didn't have time last night to make an extra trip, I just used regular Mission brand flour tortillas)
baby spinach, for serving
shredded cheese, for serving
guacamole, for serving

In a non-stick skillet over medium high heat, saute onions and bell peppers in butter or olive oil.  When onions are translucent, add rice and chicken.  When chicken and rice are starting to brown, add water, the seasoning packet from the rice, salsa, beans, and corn.  Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes until rice and chicken are cooked and the liquid is absorbed.

If you're ready to eat, fill tortillas with rice and chicken mixture, baby spinach leaves, cheese, sour cream, and guacamole.  When I made some to freeze, I only added cheese to the rice-chicken mixture in the burritos, since I've never seen how guacamole and sour cream freeze, and I didn't want the spinach to wilt.

1 comment:

Aroura said...

Thanks Hillary! That was definitely yummy!