Monday, January 4, 2010

Roasted Winter Vegetables: Updated

With the beginning of a new year, I always try to make one of my resolutions an effort to cook healthier and more frequently (as opposed to going out).  Do you ever find that when you make the effort to buy great produce, plan meals, and eat at home, you eat healthier and save money?  I sure do.  So I'm trying my best to eat better, which means a variety of colorful, healthy foods while saving money (and getting my husband to eat something besides bean burritos!).

For Christmas Eve with my family, I knew I wanted to make these roasted veggies.  My hands-down favorite way to eat veggies is after they've been roasted in the oven, and even my super picky husband always gets seconds when I make them.  But since we were having a lot of people over for Christmas Eve dinner, I wanted to change them up a bit, especially since we were already having mashed potatoes.  So here's what I did (and they were oh so delicious):

1 sweet potato
1 yam
6-8 carrots
4 parsnips
1 red bell pepper
1/2 bag frozen pearl onions, defrosted
2 Tbs. olive oil
1 packet McCormick toasted onion & garlic potato seasoning (I'm sure you could replicate this with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion flakes)

Peel and cut veggies into 1 inch pieces.  Toss with olive oil and seasoning, then spread onto a rimmed cookie sheet.  Roast at 425 for 20-25 minutes, or until just tender.  Then broil an additional few minutes until everything is browned and crispy.

If you have leftovers (since this makes a ton), and you like veggie soup, just puree all the veggies in a blender with chicken broth, then reheat.

No comments: