Monday, January 4, 2010

Healthier Taco Salad

So, in line with my post about trying to eat healthier and cook more often, tonight I went to the grocery store.  There's nothing more refreshing for me than to clean out my fridge, clean out my cupboards, clean the kitchen, then go to the store and fill up my fridge and cupboards with healthy, fresh foods.  I'm also making an effort to make better choices at the store when I can--watching sales, using coupons, and buying organic and local as much as possible.  Since my fridge was practically bare, I can't believe I was able to buy about 10 days' worth of meals (3 a day plus snacks), all organic produce, for under $200.

Anyhow, I had some ground turkey breast in my freezer that I wanted to use up, so I came up with this recipe (it made enough for 2 very generously portioned salads--probably too generous--and enough leftovers for lunch tomorrow too):

1 pound ground turkey breast
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained*
1 packet of organic, low sodium taco seasoning mix
 1 medium red onion, diced
1 avocado, diced and tossed in 1 tsp. lime juice
blue corn tortilla chips**
romaine lettuce
green onions
shredded cheese
fat free sour cream
fresh salsa
sliced olives

1. In a nonstick skillet, saute onions in 1 tsp olive oil.  Add ground turkey breast and taco seasoning, letting it brown while breaking up with a wooden spoon.  Add black beans when turkey is nearly cooked through.

2.  Layer turkey-bean mixture with a few chips, cheese, romaine lettuce, olives, green onions, diced avocado, sour cream, and salsa.

*I used to really hate beans.  But since my husband grew up eating tons of Mexican food in southern California, he made me try them again...and now I love them!  They are such a quick way to get protein and complex carbohydrates, plus they're super cheap.  I think black beans have the most health benefits, but feel free to substitute whatever you have.

**I had blue corn tortilla chips from Whole Foods in my pantry.  I read that as far as tortilla chips go, blue corn chips have at least some antioxidants in them despite the fact that they're chips and therefore a splurge.  They're really tasty too, but again, substitute what you have.

No comments: