Sunday, October 4, 2009

Homemade Tomato Sauce

Yes, that's right, I am still trying to find stuff to do with tomatoes and have been making tomato sauce using this recipe (as a guideline anyway...I don't have a kitchen scale so I basically use a bucket of tomatoes - which ends up being 8-10 cups - and then adjusting the other ingredients to taste). I have been freezing most of it, but I think you could can it if you wanted (if you process for 50 minutes). I used some for spaghetti the other day and you would have thought we were eating at a 5 star restaurant from the way my family reacted...to spaghetti!

20 lbs. tomatoes (peeled and seeded)
3 cloves garlic
2 Tbsp. olive oil
salt to taste
black pepper to taste
1 cup fresh torn basil leaves
1/4 cup fresh oregano leaves
2 Tbsp. fresh rosemary leaves
1/2 yellow onion chopped

Crush tomatoes into stockpot (I pureed mine first). Turn burner to medium high and add remaining ingredients. When bubbling nicely turn down to a good simmer. Simmer 5 hours stirring occasionally.

No comments: