Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Coconut Curried Chicken and Sweet Potatoes

This is such a yummy curry recipe but oh.so.easy! If you even remotely like thai food and/or asian style curry you should give this recipe a try. I think you could make it with regular potatoes if you wanted and it would be equally good...in fact, I think I will make it that way from now on because regular potatoes are so much cheaper and almost always on hand. :) This recipe was given to me by my sister-in-law - I have got to get her to add recipes on here! Enjoy!

2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 lb. chicken breast tenders (or any kind of chicken really)
2 large shallots, finely sliced (I sustituted 1/4 c. sweet onion and 3 garlic cloves here)
1/2 c. coarsely chopped red onion
2 1/2 tsp. curry powder
1/2 tsp. sea salt (or more...I think 1 1/2 tsp. is more like it)
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced into 1/2" pieces
1 can (14 oz.) coconut milk
2 Tbsp. fresh chopped cilantro
2 green onions chopped

Heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil in a lareg Dutch Oven over med-high heat (I used a large non-stick frying pan with a lid and it worked just fine). Season chicken with salt and pepper. Saute 5-7 minutes until center is no longer pink. Remove chicken from pan and cover.

Add remaining oil to Dutch over. Saute shallots and onion 3-5 min. Add spices and salt. Add potatoes and coconut milk; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to med-low and simmer 10 minutes. While simmering, dice chicken.

Add chicken to curry; simmer 5 more minutes, or until potatoes are cooked through. Top with green onion and cilantro. Serve over jasmine rice.

1 comment:

Hillary said...

This sounds so good and different! I bet it's just like this curry we get at a little hole-in-the-wall Thai restaurant by the Smith's on 4500 South and 900 East. So yummy!