Saturday, March 14, 2009

Crock Pot Hawaiian Haystacks

I wanted to make Hawaiian Haystacks for the kids because I knew they would love piling on the toppings, but wanted something with quick prep, so I experimented in the crock pot and it turned out fantastic. If you have any suggestions for making the recipe better since I am no cooking expert, feel free to add your thoughts in the comments.

1 lb. chicken breasts or tenders cut into bite sized pieces (I am lazy and just used my serving spoon to shred tenders into smaller pieces right before serving)
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cup water
cooked white rice

toppings (chopped or diced):
tomatoes
celery
green peppers
pineapple
mandarin oranges
olives
water chestnuts
grated cheese
coconut
almonds
crunchy chow mein noodles

Line bottom of crock pot with raw chicken. In a separate bowl, combine soup, sour cream, and water in a small bowl and stir until mixed. Pour soup mixture over chicken and cook on low for 6-8 hours.

To assemble the haystack, put a pile of rice on your plate, cover with chicken and sauce, top with cheese (so it will melt) and whatever other toppings you wish (I put everything in small bowls and let everyone top their own with the stuff they like). Enjoy!

3 comments:

Hillary said...

This sounds so good! How thick does the sauce get? I might have an easier time selling this to Brian if it's not too soupy. Oh, and what ended up being everyone's favorite toppings?

Jen said...

I don't think it is terribly soupy, but you could always reduce the water and/or add a few tablespoons of cornstarch for the last 15 - 20 minutes of cooking to thicken it up (apparently this is a good way to thicken up the sauce of any crock pot dish). Our favorite toppings are tomatoes, pineapple, mandarin oranges, olives and the crunchy chow mein noodles! I have never tried the coconut on top, but I am going to next time!

Jess said...

Tried this last Sunday and I loved it. Fav toppings were celery, olives, peppers, tomato, pineapple, mandrain orange, chow mein.