Thursday, April 24, 2008

Spring Asparagus Soup

I had this at a baby shower last month and it was so yummy that I set out to find a recipe. This one is delicious. It makes enough to feed an army though (or at least my whole family dinner for 2 or 3 nights) so half it unless you want to freeze some for a future day when you don't feel like cooking.

I served it with some shredded cheese and french bread with a side of salad. At the shower it was served with shredded cheese and these yummy soft croutons, so if I figure out where to get them or how to make them, I will keep you informed!

4 lb. fresh asparagus
1 medium white onion, diced into large pieces
4 oz. butter
2 qt. chicken or vegetable stock, heated to a boil and set aside (I used chicken broth since I was too lazy to make stock)
1 pint heavy cream

Sweat onions and butter until translucent. Add asparagus and continue to sweat 2-3 minutes. Add heated stock just until it covers asparagus. Season with salt, peper and a pinch of sugar. Simmer until tender, keeping asparagus green - careful not to overcook.

Transfer contents into a blender (I had to do this in 3 different batches). Puree until smooth. Add heavy cream while bending. Adjust salt pepper and sugar. Pass through a fine strainer or chinois (this takes longer than you would think - especially if you do the full amount so plan for about 15-20 minutes). Serve immediately (or reheat and serve if it takes you as long as it took me to strain! I blame it on a second-rate strainer!)

Enjoy! Let me know what you think if you try it. I would love to hear about any modifications or soft crouton discoveries!

No comments: