Thursday, October 7, 2010

Call for Help

I'm in need of some creative assistance.  My sister-in-law had to have some serious surgery today, and I'm planning on bringing her dinner on Monday when she gets out of the hospital.  She has five darling but very picky kids and a food-loving husband.

I am just so sick of all the things I usually make when I bring dinners to people.  I need new ideas!  Since they live in Layton and I have a day job, I would prefer something that travels really well, holds heat well (if it's meant to be served hot, that is), and could be mostly assembled the night before or in the morning before work. Oh, and even though I like lots of out-there flavors and veggies, I think she and her kids only like pretty standard stuff.  In the past I've made things like chicken enchiladas, lasagna, chicken pot pie/casseroles, soup, chili, etc.  I just need help out of my rut!

Thanks!

3 comments:

Jen said...

I am interested to see suggestions as well! A couple of things that I like to do for dinners are the Roasted Red Pepper chicken (crock pot - so that holds heat well) and rice and grated cheese with a salad, pasta salads with meat in them (there is one on here that RUTH posted that I love to make...mint, basil, tomato, etc. sauce) with a loaf of french bread or artisan bread, and I actually did your swiss cheese chicken with the crescent rolls on top for someone a few weeks ago and gave it to them ready to put in the oven so they could eat it whenever they wanted. Another thing you could do is chicken and broccoli casserole in the crock pot...I posted the recipe on here...served with rice and a salad. I wish I had more suggestions, good luck. Hope all goes well with the surgery!

Hillary said...

Thanks. My SIL is such a trooper. She's had 7 pregnancies, 5 births, and 3 D&C's, so even though she's only 31 (and, fortunately, very done with having kids), her doctor recommended a hysterectomy. But due to other surgeries she's had due to pregnancy complications, she had to have it c-section style. It sounds awful to me, but knowing her, she will be back taking care of her kids way before she should!

Erin said...

My crock pot mac and cheese is a fantastic and easy dish most kids and parents love.