Monday, February 8, 2010

Jen's Favorite Buttercream Frosting

I LOVE frosting! In fact, yesterday Morgan (4) said..."I think we should make cupcakes because then I can lick the frosting right off the top," and I laughed out loud because I knew EXACTLY where he learned that from! ;) Anyway, I have tried a lot of recipes for buttercream frosting and I have never been head over heels in love with one, so finally I decided to break the mold and experiment instead of following recipes that were never just right.

Seth doesn't like frosting - at all - it is almost like a Jack Sprat thing - I eat his frosting he eats my cake, but when I made this frosting, he loved it! Yesterday I took cupcakes with this frosting to a baby blessing and I had a couple of requests for the recipe, so without further ado, I give you my favorite buttercream frosting recipe - and it is easy! There are a lot of extra instructions I am adding in because I learned a lot about frosting success while experimenting so I am sharing with you...I will list the un-noted recipe below the noted one if you want it easier to read!(One note: because this is modified I usually eyeball it and don't measure precisely, so if it doesn't taste just right to you, don't be afraid to make adjustments!)

1 cup butter (room temperature - if you don't store your butter at room temperature, you can put it in the microwave in a small bowl on defrost for 10-20 seconds and it will soften without melting)
1/2 - 2/3 cup crisco shortening (I don't measure this I just add 2 large heaping spoonfuls)
2 Tbsp. pure vanilla extract (not immitation vanilla - the pure stuff makes a difference - if you want white frosting, get the clear vanilla extract - McCormicks and Watkins make good ones)
2 tsp. almond extract (optional, but it really neutralizes the taste of the powdered sugar...sometimes I substitute other flavors here, but I always add at least 1/2 tsp. of almond extract)
4 cups confectioners sugar

4 Tbsp. cream or milk (you can use either or both, but I have found that I like the taste best when I use 3Tbsp cream and 1 Tbsp milk)
1/2 tsp. glycerin (optional - this thickens up your frosting to counteract the liquid food coloring or flavors without more powdered sugar)

I usually mix this in my kitchenaid with the whipping attachment, but if you are using a handmixer, I recommend using your whipping attachment. Cream butter and crisco until smooth. Add vanilla and almond extract and whip. Gradually mix in powdered sugar 1 cup at a time - scraping sides as needed. Add milk. Whip for 2-3 minutes. Adjust ingredients to taste. Add glycerin if needed.

Adjustable ingredients:
To thicken a lot without more butter taste add more crisco.
If it is too powdery add more milk or cream.
If it is the right consistency but tastes too much like powdered sugar add more vanilla or almond extract.
If it tastes just right, but isn't thick enough add more glycerin.



Recipe without notes:
1 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 - 2/3 cup crisco shortening
2 Tbsp. pure vanilla extract
2 tsp. almond extract
4 cups confectioners sugar
4 Tbsp cream or milk
1/2 tsp. glycerin (optional)

Cream butter and crisco until smooth. Add vanilla and almond extract and whip. Gradually mix in powdered sugar 1 cup at a time - scraping sides as needed. Add milk. Whip for 2-3 minutes. Add glycerin.

1 comment:

Shantell said...

I made this frosting for my valentine cookies! Amazing! Thanks for sharing!